Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- McCarthy’s ouster as speaker fuels uncertainty as renewed shutdown threat loomsThe House of Representatives on Tuesday voted to oust Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., as speaker, throwing the chamber into disarray and fueling uncertainty over Congress’ ability to conduct business while the leadership void persists and a renewed showdown over government funding looms next month. McCarthy was removed from his role as speaker through a motion to vacate introduced by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., in what was the first time in history a speaker has been booted from the top job through a floor vote. The motion passed with a narrow 216 to 210 margin, with Gaetz and seven other Republican lawmakers joining all 208 Democrats in attendance in voting to remove McCarthy from the speakership. Until the House elects a new speaker, floor business is expected to grind to a halt, with the chamber unable to consider bills on the floor — although committees can still function per usual. This… ..... Read More.41 mins ago
- Dish Is First Company to Be Fined By F.C.C. Over Space Junk RuleDish, the television provider, failed to move its dead satellite into a higher orbit, where it would pose little threat to active satellites, the agency announced. The company agreed to pay a $150,000 fine. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Colleges Find Real Estate Bargains in Empty Office SpacesAs companies with hybrid work forces reduce square footage, universities see an opportunity to buy buildings at bargain prices. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Cost of national debt hits 20-year highThe interest rate on government debt has hit a 20-year high, leaving little room for tax-cuts. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Spotify makes audiobooks free to paid subscribersSpotify plans to offer subscribers up to 15 hours of free audiobooks each month, an attempt to better compete with Amazon.com-owned rival Audible and find a path to profitability. The streaming company said Tuesday that it would make a selection of more than 150,000 titles available to premium users as part of their existing subscriptions in the U.K. and Australia and expand the program to U.S. listeners later this winter. Among the audiobooks it plans to make available are bestsellers such as Jennette McCurdy’s memoir, "I’m Glad My Mom Died," and award-winners such as Min Jin Lee’s novel "Pachinko." Spotify said it aims to expand the audiobook market, create a better user experience than existing platforms and make its subscriptions more valuable to users by offering audiobooks alongside its extensive music and podcast catalogs. The Wall Street Journal earlier reported that Spotify was in talks with publishers to introduce the… ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Starbucks closing 7 downtown San Francisco storesCoffee giant Starbucks is shrinking its footprint in downtown San Francisco following the announcement that it plans to close seven stores in the city's center even as it opens, reopens or renovates other locations in the city. Starbucks’ regional vice president for Northern California, Jessica Borton, informed employees at the stores slated for closure in a letter sent Monday that was first reported by the San Francisco Business Times. "There are several factors Starbucks considers when tasked with the tough decision of closing a store, but it is all part of ensuring a healthy store portfolio," Borton wrote, per the outlet. "We will continue to listen to the needs of our partners to ensure they can focus on crafting beverages and creating connections in a welcoming environment." SAN FRANCISCO, NEW YORK FACE ‘URBAN DOOM LOOP’ Starbucks will close seven stores in the San Francisco neighborhoods of Financial District, Cathedral Hill,… ..... Read More.3 hours ago