Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Cost-of-living payments: What are they, who gets them and are they fair?Millions of low-income households are receiving a £10 bonus after the latest cost-of-living payment. ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Mica Ertegun, 97, Glamorous Interior Designer and Philanthropist, DiesShe and her longtime husband, the music magnate Ahmet Ertegun, were once called “the virtual definition of sophistication.” ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Uber shares rally on S&P 500 inclusionUber is driving into the big leagues as one of the newest incoming members of the S&P 500, the broadest measure of the U.S. stock market. Shares hit a two-year high on Monday as inclusion is viewed by investors as a positive for companies in growth mode. Typically, fund managers who mirror the S&P need to add to their holdings of the new members. Uber shares have gained 141% this year, outpacing the S&P 500's 18%+ rise. UBER BOLSTERS SAFETY MEASURES FOR DRIVERS AMID CRIME UPTICK CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said he was "super proud of the Uber team" in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter. Just last month he noted the company was ending the year with a tailwind. ECONOMY TO SLOW HEADING INTO 2024: NABE "Consumer demand on our platform remains healthy as we enter the busiest period of the year," CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said in his prepared… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Benefits falling behind rising cost of livingNew data suggests that the cost of living has been rising faster than official inflation figures. ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Is the Federal Reserve done raising interest rates?Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell kept the possibility of another interest rate in play during a key speech last week. Still, with inflation continuing to cool, investors are increasingly betting that the tightening campaign has come to an end. In his closely watched speech last week, Powell downplayed recent declines in consumer prices, suggesting it's still too early to declare victory, or discuss when the central bank may begin to cut interest rates. "It would be premature to conclude with confidence that we have achieved a sufficiently restrictive stance, or to speculate on when policy might ease," Powell said while speaking at Spelman College in Atlanta. "We are prepared to tighten policy further if it becomes appropriate to do so." FED'S FIGHT AGAINST INFLATION IS WEIGHING ON MIDDLE-CLASS AMERICANS Despite the hawkish overtures, investors see a near 100% chance that Fed officials will hold interest rates steady at their final… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Train strikes: When are the walkouts in December?Drivers are holding rolling walkouts in December in a long-running row over pay and conditions. ..... Read More.5 hours ago