Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Older people also talk on a cell phone while drivingStudy finds 82% have a smartphone and 60% talk on it while driving By Mark Huffman of ConsumerAffairs April 25, 2017 Distracted driving is a big problem in the U.S. Safety advocates attribute the surge in traffic deaths in recent years to drivers using their cell phones. Teens and young adults generally get the lion's share of the blame when it comes to distracted driving, but that may be a little unfair. Their grandparents are guilty too. A team of researchers at the University of California San Diego studied the habits of senior drivers in California. Their survey of older adults found 82% of them owned a smartphoneand admitted to using it behind the wheel on occasion. The survey results found older adults are driving distracted less than their younger counterparts, but are still engaging in this dangerous behavior, said Linda Hill, professor in the Department of Family Medicine… ..... Read More.25 mins ago
- BMW recalls model year 2017-2018 M760Li xDrive vehiclesLoose engine oil cooler lines could cause an oil leak in the engine compartment By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs April 25, 2017 BMW of North America is recalling 97 model year 2017-2018 M760Li xDrive vehicles. The recalled vehicles have engine oil cooler lines that may loosen causing an oil leak in the engine compartment. The leaking engine oil may get onto the front brake disks, lengthening the distance needed to stop the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash. What to do BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine oil cooler lines, replacing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin June 1, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417. ..... Read More.33 mins ago
- Stressing about finances during pregnancy linked to low birth weightMoney-related woes can affect the health of an unborn baby, study suggests By Sarah D. Young of ConsumerAffairs April 25, 2017 Raising a kid isnt cheap. From diapers to daycare, the costs associated with raising a child can amount to a hefty sum -- somewhere in the neighborhood of $13,000 a year per child, according to a recent report. But worrying about finances while pregnant could have a negative effect on the health of an unborn baby, a new study suggests. Researchers at the Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center say they've found a link between anxiety over financial stress and babies being born at lower birth weights. Lower birth weights To conduct the study, the investigators asked pregnant women questions about how difficult it would be to live on their annual household income and handle baby-related expenses in the… ..... Read More.36 mins ago
- Personal Journeys: For Road-Weary Cyclists, a Room, a Couch, Maybe Even a Meal.Warm Showers, run by a network of volunteers, pairs cyclists with hosts in 175 countries. There is no fee, but there might be Hawaiian pizza. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Chasing the Deal: After Decline in Paris Tourism, Hotels Offer DiscountsAttacks in the city and in Europe have led luxury properties to lower prices — and to add perks. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- French Prosecutors Probe Peugeot Parent over Alleged Emissions FraudFrench prosecutors started a preliminary investigation of alleged fraud at PSA Group, the latest car manufacturer to be targeted over potential violations of emissions rules in the aftermath of Volkswagen AG’s diesel-cheating scandal. The stock fell the most in two months. … ..... Read More.2 hours ago