Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- UnitedHealth Loses Case to the Health Venture Begun by Amazon, Berkshire-Hathaway and JPMo...A court battle over trade secrets highlighted how the Big Three corporations’ new unit is unnerving major insurers in the field. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Berkshire Hathaway in Talks to Sell Workers’ Compensation Unit Applied UnderwritersWarren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is in advanced discussions to sell its Applied Underwriters workers compensation unit to a consortium of insurance firms, people familiar with the matter said on Friday. The deal would be a rare divestment by Buffett, … ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- The Weekly Hack: Hackers break into Tampa mayor’s Twitter account and post that missiles...The medical records of Seattle-area patients were accessible via Google search By Amy Martyn of ConsumerAffairs February 22, 2019 Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn had a dire warning for his constituents. EMERGENCY ALERT, he posted. BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAD INBOUND TO TAMPA BAY AREA. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. It was not a drill, but it also wasn't real. The emergency alert was part of a thread of 60 some-odd posts on Buckhorns Twitter account that also included racist messages, child pornography, and a bomb threat against the Tampa International Airport. Buckhorn is now back online and thanking Twitter for kicking the hackers out of his account. Tampa police said that the threats were not credible and are currently investigating how the hackers managed to obtain Buckhorns password. In case anyone was still confused, the mayors spokesman sent out a news release yesterday telling followers that the Twitter posts… ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Trump Administration Blocks Funds for Planned Parenthood and Others Over Abortion Referral...The new rule would steer federal family planning funds under Title X to anti-abortion and faith based groups. ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Mercedes-Benz recalls 288k vehicles with airbag inflator issueThe passenger front airbag inflator may explode causing injury or death By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs February 22, 2019 Mercedes-Benz USA(MBUSA) is recalling 288,779 of the following vehicles: Model year 2014 C250s, C300 4Matics, C350s, C63 AMGs, E350 4Matic Coupes, E350 Cabrios, E350 Coupes, SLS AMG Cabrios, SLS AMG Coupes, model year 2014-2015 C250 Coupes, C350 4Matic Coupes, C350 Coupes, C63 AMG Coupes, GLK 350s, GLK250 BlueTec 4Matics, GLK350 RWDs, model year 2015-2017 E400 4Matic Coupes, E400 Cabrios, E400 Coupes, 2014-2017 E550 Cabrios, and model year 2014-2016 E550 Coupes sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan) and the U.S. Virgin Islands or "Zone A." Model year 2012-2014 C250s, E350 4Matic Coupes, SLS AMG Cabrios, model year 2012-2015 C250 Coupes, C350 4Matic Coupes, C350 Coupes, C63 AMG Coupes, 2011 C300s, model year… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Soda tax reduces consumption of sugary drinksOne California city could be setting the stage for other cities to follow in its footsteps By Kristen Dalli of ConsumerAffairs February 22, 2019 Several cities across the United States have been imposing taxes on sugary beverages in an effort to encourage consumers to make healthier purchases. According to a new study, Berkeley, California has been successful in its efforts on this front. The city enacted its soda tax back in 2015, and based on three years of research, experts have noticed that sugary drink consumption has dropped by over 50 percent. This just drives home the message that soda taxes work, said researcher Kristine Madsen. Importantly, our evidence comes from low-income and diverse neighborhoods, which have the highest burden of diabetes and cardiovascular disease, not to mention a higher prevalence of advertising promoting unhealthy diets. The success story Madsen and her team of researchers have taken to polling local… ..... Read More.5 hours ago
- TxDOT: Traffic Fatalities Increased in Energy Producing RegionsBooming energy production has brought jobs and economic gains to communities throughout Texas, but also an unintended consequence with a rise in traffic fatalities and injuries, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports. In 2017, more than 194,000 crashes — … ..... Read More.5 hours ago