Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- America’s Most Popular StatuesStatues honoring the Confederacy have gotten a lot of attention lately. But the statues that draw millions are largely monuments to freedom. ..... Read More.54 mins ago
- Researchers develop antibiotic against deadly superbugThe team used multiple antibiotics to meet the urgent threat By Christopher Maynard of ConsumerAffairs August 23, 2017 In the fight against antibiotic resistant bacteria, scientists have feared that mankind may soon be on the losing side. Recently, a team of researchers discovered a strain of E. coli that carries mcr-1 and ndm-5 genes, which effectively make them immune to many last-resort antibiotics that are currently available. Normally, this level of resistance would leave clinicians with no way to treat the superbug, but all hope is not yet lost. A separate team of researchers from the University of Buffalo say they have found a way to combine three antibiotics in order to kill the E. coli strain. "We believe that the appearance of mcr-1 and ndm-5 in patients may be a harbinger for what is to come. The golden era of antibiotics isn't over yet, but we wanted to help… ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Appeals Court Rules L.A. Lakers Not Entitled to Coverage in TCPA SuitThe U.S. Ninth Circuit court of Appeals affirmed Wednesday that the Los Angeles Lakers are not entitled to insurance coverage for class allegations that the team violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The allegations hold that during a game the … ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Cracking downAs hospital admissions for allergies rise, what should people reasonably do to protect sufferers? ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Solar eclipse blamed for salmon farm bust-outThousands of farmed fish escaped, putting native Washington State salmon at risk By James R. Hood of ConsumerAffairs August 23, 2017 The solar eclipse didn't cause the mass havoc some had feared. There were no massive traffic pile-ups, unruly sun-watchers, or epidemics of damaged retinas. Ah, but then there are those salmon. Washington State officials are urging the public to catch as many salmon as they can after it was discovered that high tides resulting from the eclipse damaged a net pen holding 305,000 farmsalmon ata Cooke Aquaculture fish farm near Cypress Island, allowing an unknown number to escape, the Seattle Times reported. The prison pen bust-out was discovered by fishermen over the weekend when they pulled up spotted, silvery salmon instead of the chinook they were expecting. No one knows how many fish made the big break, but officials from theWashington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) say it's… ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Model year 2017 Dodge Challengers and Chargers recalledThe engine oil cooler hoses may fail By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs August 23, 2017 Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling 1,207 model year 2017 Dodge Challengers and Chargers equipped with Hellcat engines. The engine oil cooler (EOC) hoses may fail resulting in a rapid loss of engine oil. If an EOC line fails, oil may spray onto the windshield or contact a hot surface, impairing driver visibility and increasing the risk of a crash or fire. What to do Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the EOC lines, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 22, 2017. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is T48. ..... Read More.3 hours ago