Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Uber and Lyft CEOs catch government flack for being no-shows at congressional hearingLawmakers are telling the companies to clean up their act By Gary Guthrie of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 One would think that if the U.S. Congress asks someone to appear at a hearing, they would, right? It looks like the CEOs at Uber and Lyft dont feel that way. The two transportation network company (TNC) executives made good on their threat to skip a congressional hearing on Thursday -- one in which the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure wanted to hear their answers on crucial labor, regulatory, and safety questions. Despite the CEOs no-show, the committee used the extra mic time to make its concerns known. How these new technologies are integrated into our existing systems, and what rules TNCs must follow, must be carefully crafted to ensure that these services are a truly good option, said Peter DeFazio (D-OR), the Chair of the committee. Lawmakers at the Federal,… ..... Read More.12 hours ago
- Regular exposure to blue light from device screens could make you age more rapidlyConsumers could still be in danger of these side effects even if the light doesnt shine directly into their eyes By Kristen Dalli of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 For many consumers, its not uncommon to spend the majority of the day staring into your computer or phone screen. While that time in front of screens can be unavoidable, a new study conducted by researchers from Oregon State University found that it could also be damaging. The study revealed that the blue light that emanates from nearly every electronic device can actually speed up the aging process for consumers, regardless of whether or not the light shines directly into their eyes. Human lifespan has increased dramatically over the past century as weve found ways to treat diseases, and at the same time we have been spending more and more time with artificial light, said researcher Ellen Chow. As science looks for… ..... Read More.13 hours ago
- Baby Niamh Williams’ wait for Cardiff hospital bed ‘horrific’Niamh Williams has been waiting for a specialised assessment since her birth on 1 October. ..... Read More.13 hours ago
- Foreclosure activity hits 14-year lowThird-quarter foreclosure activity was down 19 percent from 2018 By Mark Huffman of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 Foreclosure activity -- default notices, scheduled auctions, and bank repossessions -- fell to a 14-year low in the third quarter of the year, suggesting significant stability in the housing market. ATTOM Data Solutions, which tracks housing data, reports that foreclosure activity was down 6 percent from the previous quarter and was 19 percent lower than the third quarter of 2018. It hit the lowest level since the second quarter of 2005. More stringent standards to qualify for a mortgage plus very low unemployment rates have combined to almost make foreclosure a rarity. "Foreclosure activity continues to decline across the country, which is a good sign that the housing market and the broader economy remain strong and that the lending excesses that helped bring down the economy during the Great Recession remain a… ..... Read More.13 hours ago
- Juul announces that it will stop selling fruit-flavored e-cigarettesThe e-cigarette maker preempted an expected order from the FDA By Sarah D. Young of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 Juul has ceased sales of its flavored nicotine products in the U.S. ahead of an expected order for it to do so from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The e-cigarette maker had previously pulled its flavored products from retail outlets, but its fruit-flavored e-cigarettes were still available online. Juul has now stopped selling flavored products, including mango, creme, fruit, and cucumber. The company is still selling tobacco, mint, and menthol flavored products. The move comes as federal regulators seek to combat the rise in teen use of the products, which have been linked to severe lung illnesses and deaths. Cooperating with regulators Earlier this week, a parent whose son died after becoming intensely addicted to Juuls products filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the company. Juul has previously been… ..... Read More.13 hours ago
- YOUBITE recalls pork and turkey sausagesThe products contain either natural sheep or natural pork casings By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 YOUBITE of Camarillo, Calif., is recalling approximately 7,197 pounds of raw and ready-to-eat, pork and turkey sausages. The products contain either natural sheep or natural pork casings not declared on the label. There are no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. The following items, produced from October 9, 2018, to October 9, 2019, are being recalled: 0.8-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing fully cooked, ready-to-eat, YOUBITE Rheinlaender Fully cooked and smoked pork links with lot numbers that end in 100918 through 100919. 0.8-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing raw YOUBITE Irish Bratwurst sausages with lot numbers that end in 100918 through 100919. 0.75-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing raw YOUBITE German Lollipop Bratwurst sausages with lot numbers that end in 100918 through 100919. 1-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing fully cooked, ready-to-eat, YOUBITE Turkey… ..... Read More.14 hours ago
- UPS jumps onto Amazon’s turf with fulfillment, shipping services for online merchant...Competition in the online retail space is heating up By James R. Hood of ConsumerAffairs October 18, 2019 Many people see Amazon as a giant crashing through the online retail jungle, killing and eating everything in sight. But it could be that Amazon is actually clearing the landscape for lots of new, small critters that have had a hard time finding a niche in the retail ecology. Case in point: UPS' announcement of its new fulfillment service for online retailers. "UPS eFulfillment combines proprietary e-commerce management technology with trusted, reliable UPS fulfillment and shipping to simplify multi-channel e-commerce sales. Our portal provides visibility to all your orders and inventory. You simply select how fast it needs to get to your customerwe do the rest," UPS said in an email to its customers today. Competition heats up in retail Of course, many might think that UPS is just preparing for the… ..... Read More.14 hours ago