Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- 12 camping essentials for fallHere are the things you need for an easy weekend vacation By Paige McQueen of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 Photo (c) AzmanJaka - Getty ImagesNow is the time to take full advantage of the cool weather to get out and explore. Even if you've never camped before, you can have a fantastic experience with just a little bit of gear and some preparation. Below are some of our favorite camping essentials to get ready for a few nights away from it all. 1. Quality tent Lets start with the obvious the tent is important, especially if youre camping in the fall. We like that the Marmot Limelight has good wind protection and steep walls. Depending on where you use it, it could be suitable through the winter. Photo (c) Backcountry Waterproof floor Built-in mesh to keep bugs out Buy on Backcountry … ..... Read More.13 hours ago
- Walmart rolls out new ‘Free Assembly’ clothing lineThe retailer has been down this road before with little to no success By Gary Guthrie of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 Say hello to Free Assembly, Walmarts newest attempt to gain the attention of fashion-conscious consumers. The product line comes complete with items for both men and women at a $9 to $45 price range, which the big box retailer hopes is a sweet spot and produces more uptake than its previous fashion endeavors. Starting out, Free Assembly will focus on a fall collection with more than 30 items for women and 25 items for men. Customers will discover well-designed, high-quality pieces at prices below other American clothing brands including a $45 structured blazer with an updated silhouette, a $39 viscose tiered maxi for women and a $30 fishtail parka at a fraction of the price found at specialty retailers, wrote Denise Incandela, SVP Womens Group, Elevated and Online Brands… ..... Read More.15 hours ago
- Loneliness could be an indicator of late-onset type 2 diabetesA new study highlights the importance of strong social connections By Kristen Dalli of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 While researchers have found how certain personality traits can affect consumers likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes, a new study is exploring the role that loneliness might play in the diseases progression. According to researchers from Kings College London, older adults who experience higher levels of loneliness are more likely to develop the condition. This study shows a strong relationship between loneliness and the later onset of type 2 diabetes, said researcher Dr. Ruth Hackett. What is particularly striking is that this relationship is robust even when factors that are important in diabetes development are taken into account, such as smoking, alcohol intake, and blood glucose, as well as mental health factors, such as depression. Social connections affecting physical health To understand how loneliness can affect consumers likelihood of developing type 2… ..... Read More.15 hours ago
- Covid lockdown for Newport, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Blaenau GwentNewport, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Blaenau Gwent face new restrictions from 18:00 BST on Tuesday. ..... Read More.15 hours ago
- Last-minute census push is ripe for scams, consumer advocates warnHere are some ways to make sure any census-taker you talk to is legit By Mark Huffman of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 The deadline for concluding the 2020 U.S. Census is coming up, which means the U.S. Census Bureau is intensifying efforts to collect the necessary data. However, consumer advocates worry that scammers are seeking to exploit that situation. Steve McFarland, President of the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau, says his office is receiving reports that scammers are posing as census workers and are going door-to-door and looking for an opportunity to steal personal information, and even money. "They want your personal information and they want money. That's what they want," McFarland recently told KNBC-TV in Los Angeles. Because of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the deadline for wrapping up the census has been extended to September 30. Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody says that just gives scammers more time to… ..... Read More.16 hours ago
- CDC says revised guidance on airborne COVID-19 particles was published in errorThe agency said a draft version of proposed changes was mistakenly posted Friday By Sarah D. Young of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Monday that COVID-19 guidance posted late last week on its official website was posted in error. On Friday, the CDC published guidance saying that the virus spreads through airborne particles that can remain in the air and travel distances beyond six feet. ''A draft version of proposed changes to these recommendations was posted in error to the agency's official website, the agency in a statement. CDC is currently updating its recommendations regarding airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19). Once this process has been completed, the update language will be posted. Mistakenly published The now-removed guidance originally claimed that there is a growing body of scientific evidence showing that droplets and airborne particles can linger in the… ..... Read More.16 hours ago
- Ford recalls model year 2020 ExplorersThe rear center seat belt buckles may not be secured properly By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs September 21, 2020 Ford Motor Company is recalling 29 model year 2020 Explorers. The vehicles are equipped with second row center seat belt buckles that may not be properly secured to the seat. Vehicles with seat belt buckles that are not properly secured may fail to restrain an occupant in a crash, increasing the risk of injury. What to do Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the second row center seat assembly free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 2, 2020. Owners may contact Ford customer service at (866) 436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 20S50. ..... Read More.17 hours ago