Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Florida Governor Issues Stay at Home Order; Insurance Deemed Essential BusinessFlorida Governor Ron DeSantis issued a statewide executive order Wednesday requiring all citizens in the state to stay at home except for those doing essential business or activities. The move comes as the state has more than 8,000 cases of … ..... Read More.10 hours ago
- Drinking heavily through older age can lead to larger waistlinesResearchers say it also increases other health risks By Kristen Dalli of ConsumerAffairs April 2, 2020 The dangers associated with alcohol continue to be documented by researchers, as global health experts have even warned that no amount of alcohol consumption is safe. Now, researchers from University College London have found that excessive drinking into older age can contribute to larger waistlines and increase the risk for other health concerns. Alcohol misuse, despite the common perception of young people binge drinking, is common among older adults, with alcohol-related hospital admission in England being the highest among adults aged over 50, said researcher Dr. Linda Ng Fat. Previous studies have focused on single snapshots of consumption, which has the potential to mask the cumulative effects of drinking. This study raises awareness of the effect of alcohol consumption over the life-course. Risks of heavy drinking The researchers had nearly 5,000 people between the… ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- Toilet Paper-Hauling Truck Catches Fire on Texas InterstateA tractor-trailer hauling toilet paper crashed and caught fire near Dallas early Wednesday, spilling the hot commodity all over an interstate. The fire shut down westbound lanes of Interstate 20 near Interstate 45 in Hutchins, the Texas Department of Transportation … ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- ‘I Heard the Roar’: Idaho Hit with 6.5 Magnitude EarthquakeAn earthquake struck north of Boise, Idaho, on Tuesday evening, with people across a large area reporting shaking. The U.S. Geological Survey reports the magnitude 6.5 temblor struck just before 6 p.m. It was centered 73 miles northeast of Meridian, … ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- New Orleans Officials, Developer Clash over Demolition of Collapsed HotelPlans to demolish the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans, which partially collapsed in October, remain in limbo as the city and developers disagree over how to safely bring down the structure. Among other things, the demolition plan is hampered … ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- Horace Mann Taps Desrochers to Lead Property/Casualty BusinessHorace Mann Educators Corp. has appointed Senior Vice President and Chief Corporate Actuary Mark Desrochers as head of the company’s property/casualty insurance business on an acting basis. Desrochers will take over from William Caldwell, who has resigned from his role … ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- Ford and Volvo recall 5.6 million cars built with Kiekert C1A door latchesThe doors may open unexpectedly By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs April 2, 2020 Ford and Volvo are recalling 5,641,577 cars built with Kiekert USA C1A door latches. A component within the door latches may break as a result of excessive temperatures within the door, making the doors difficult to latch and/or leading the driver or a passenger to believe a door is securely closed when -- in fact -- it is not. A door that is not securely latched could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury or the risk of a crash. What to do Ford and Volvo have recalls to notify their owners, and their dealers will replace all four door latches free of charge. Owners may contact Ford customer service at (866) 436-7332 or Volvo customer service at (800) 458-1552. ..... Read More.11 hours ago