Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- FTC offers tips for holiday shopping in 2020Consumers are reminded to look out for scams and do their research to save money By Christopher Maynard of ConsumerAffairs November 25, 2020 While Black Friday may represent the official start to the holiday shopping season for many consumers, there are many people who are already scouring online sites to get good deals on products for their friends and family. To help in that effort, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has published a blog post with various tips to keep in mind. Shameka Walker, an attorney with the FTCs Division of Consumer & Business Education, says that holiday shopping has taken on a new shape this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of COVID-19, its likely that well be going online to look for those perfect gifts. With so many deals around and what seem like eternal Black Friday sales, its important to keep some online shopping tips in… ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Delta pilots sign off on deal to avoid furloughs until 2022The airline says its not out of the woods yet, and its watching the COVID-19 spikes carefully By Gary Guthrie of ConsumerAffairs November 25, 2020 Delta Air Line pilots should be happy going into the Thanksgiving weekend. On Wednesday, they voted yes on a cost-cutting deal designed to avoid more than 1,700 furloughs until 2022. But the pilots also had some skin in the game, agreeing to accept up to a five percent cut in hours. In addition, any pilot that would have been furloughed by the airline at the end of the month is guaranteed to receive partial pay of 30 hours a month and will not have to fly. Other Delta employees had caught a break earlier this year, saving tens of thousands from the unemployment line. Still, other airlines such as JetBlue and United had earlier cut deals with their pilots to escape some level of furlough.… ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Here’s what people are shopping for on ‘Black Friday week’Consumers wishlists appear to be top-heavy with electronics By Mark Huffman of ConsumerAffairs November 24, 2020 This year, thanks to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Black Friday has been extended from just one day to most of the month of November. Deals are increasing this week as the official kickoff to the holiday shopping season approaches. According to BestBlackFriday.com, most retailers are staging week-long sales promotions that lack the OMG doorbuster deals from previous years. But the savings are there, especially when it comes to technology and gadgets. The iPhone 12 is reportedly high on many peoples gift lists this year. Other tech items consumers say they want to find under the tree are video game consoles, which got a workout as people spent a lot more time at home during the pandemic. BestBlackFridays survey of consumers about what tech gifts they valued most found that 17 percent asked for… ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Social isolation could have lasting impacts on young people’s mental healthResearchers worry about how the pandemic will affect young consumers over the long-term By Kristen Dalli of ConsumerAffairs November 25, 2020 The COVID-19 pandemic has greatly affected consumers mental health, and now a new study is exploring the long-term effects that this extended period of social isolation will have on young people. According to the researchers, the loneliness young people are experiencing now is likely to have lasting effects on their mental health. The study revealed that young people are at an increased risk of developing anxiety or depression as a result of the pandemic-induced loneliness. This rapid review of what is known about loneliness and its impact on mental health in children and young people found that loneliness is associated with both depression and anxiety, said researcher Maria Loades, DClinPsy. This occurs when studies measured both loneliness and mental health at the same point in time; when loneliness was… ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Volkswagen recalls Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport with Continental Cross Contact LX Sport tiresThe tires may have been overcured By James Limbach of ConsumerAffairs November 25, 2020 Volkswagen Group of America is recalling 760 model year 2020-2021 Atlas Cross Sport, and model year 2021 Atlas vehicles equipped with Continental Cross Contact LX Sport tires, size 255/50 R 20 105 T. The tires may have been overcured. Overcured tires can result in a sidewall break causing a sudden loss of air pressure or the tread separating from the tire. Both conditions increase the risk of a crash. What to do Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will inspect DOT date code and mold number on the vehicle's tires to see if they are affected, replacing them -- as necessary -- free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 12, 2021. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at (800) 893-5298. Volkswagen's number for this recall is 44Q5. ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Walmart, Target, and Amazon roll out deals to kick off Black FridaySome deals are available now, others start tonight By Mark Huffman of ConsumerAffairs November 25, 2020 Black Friday might lack some of the excitement and dramatic savings of past years, but Walmart, Target, and Amazon -- the three heavyweights in the retail space -- will still make it worth consumers while to shop. At Walmart, the Black Friday online deals start tonight at 7 p.m. ET and continue at midnight ET on Friday, with stores opening up at 5 a.m. local time. Walmarts ad circular highlights the following deals: Fitbit Inspire 2 -- $69. 70-inch Vizio 4K TV -- $478. Nintendo Switch Bundle -- $299. AirPods Pro -- $169. Apple Watch Series 3 -- $119 Thanksgiving will be a big online shopping day Targets latest Black Friday ad offers discounts on smart products for the home, toys, electronics, games,… ..... Read More.3 days ago
- Louisiana School Superintendents Seeking Looser Quarantine RulesLeaders of several Louisiana public school systems have called on state officials to relax coronavirus quarantine rules that have sent thousands of students home from school because they have been in close proximity to someone who tested positive for COVID-19. … ..... Read More.3 days ago