Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- FAO chief hails international treaty combating illegal, unreported and unregulated fishingFAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva today hailed the countries committed to combating unsustainable and illegal fishing, calling the rapid international adoption of the Port State Measures Agreement (PSMA) a “fantastic achievement”. 87 countries are signatories and another 18 are preparing to adhere. ..... Read More.2 weeks ago
- Launch of the UN’s Decade of Family Farming to unleash family farmers’ full potentialThe Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) today launched the United Nations' Decade of Family Farming and a Global Action Plan to boost support for family farmers, particularly those in developing countries. ..... Read More.3 weeks ago
- FAO widens its treaty work on pesticide trade information exchangeThe Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to renew its participation in the UN Rotterdam Convention, an international treaty governing trade in hazardous pesticides. ..... Read More.3 weeks ago
- Celebrating family farmers’ contribution to Zero Hunger and healthier dietsFamily farmers, who are on the frontline of global efforts to fight undernourishment and other forms of malnutrition and to promote healthy eating, require stronger support amid rising hunger and obesity around the world, the President of the UN General Assembly, Maria Fernanda Espinosa, said in Rome today. ..... Read More.3 weeks ago
- FAO’s goal: Healthy food for all, based on sustainable agricultural developmentFocusing only on producing more food is not enough, it is also crucial to produce food, that is healthy and nutritious in a way that preserves the environment, FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva said today at the Caritas Internationalis’ General Assembly in Rome. ..... Read More.4 weeks ago
- Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus calls for a new approach to address hunger and conflic...Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus today called for a complete change in the ways to address the often-related issues of hunger and conflict. He made the appeal at an event at FAO headquarters in Rome highlighting progress made by the FAO-Nobel Peace Laureates Alliance for Food Security and Peace. ..... Read More.4 weeks ago
- Stronger policy support needed to reap the benefits of growing trees near crops“Agroforestry can help diversify and sustain (food) production and provide vital social, economic and environmental benefits for land users at all scales,” she said in opening remarks at the 4th World Agroforestry Congress in Montpellier, France. ..... Read More.4 weeks ago