Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
Latest Real News From 140 News Sites Updated Every 15 Minutes.
- The Benefits of a Foreign-Language TattooMy yoga instructor’s eyes lit up as he bared his forearm. “Look!” In the dim candlelight of the yoga studio, I squinted at the place he’d indicated. There was a tattoo, but not of anything recognizable, at least not to me.“What is it?” I asked uncomfortably.“Salaam!” he said. “It means ‘peace’ in Arabic!”As a professor of Arabic, I get regular requests to verify tattoos, or to admire the ones people already have. This was one of those times.I looked again, and sure enough, there were the four Arabic letters that make the sounds “s,” “l,” “a,” and “m”—the letters needed to spell “peace.” But they were disconnected, which explains why I couldn’t read it: Arabic must be written like cursive, each letter attached to the next, or else it is rendered unintelligible. I didn’t have the heart to tell the yogi that he’d permanently inked his skin with nonsense.[Photos: Tattooing… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Natalie Portman Is Finally Done Playing The Girl Next DoorFor a long time, the public wouldn't let Portman grow up. But ever since "Black Swan," she's refused to listen. It pays off in "Vox Lux." ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Distrustful, Desperate and Forgotten: A Recipe for Election FraudHow a small rural county’s petty political feuds could shape the next Congress. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- America Needs More DentistsAmerica doesn't have enough dentists, and Ahmed El Zawi could be part of the solution—if only the federal government would let him. El Zawi emigrated from Libya to attend the University of Washington's dental school. He graduated in March 2017 and is licensed to practice dentistry in Washington state and Virginia. But it is illegal for El Zawi to work as a dentist—to work at all, actually—because his student visa expired in March. Though he found an employer willing to sponsor him for an H-1B, his name was not selected in the annual lottery that determines who receives one of those valuable government permission slips. El Zawi was able to renew his student visa to stay in the country legally. He's taking business classes while biding his time until next year's H-1B lottery, when he plans to apply again. "Right now I'm spending money and not earning money," he… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Australia v India: Tourists closing in on victory in AdelaideIndia are closing in on a first Test victory in Australia for 10 years after reducing the hosts to 104-4 in their second-innings on day four in Adelaide. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Essay: ‘Change Your Life,’ the Poet Says, and a Rural Idyll Offers a Tantalizing Choic...A Brooklyn novelist’s annual trip to the Chilean countryside fuels daydreams of permanently moving. But peace and quiet can be so, well, exasperating. ..... Read More.1 week ago