Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
Latest Real News From 140 News Sites Updated Every 15 Minutes.
- Australia refugee centre detainee wins top human rights awardAbdul Aziz Muhamat wrote about conditions at the Manus Island centre for asylum seekers. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- The Next Parkland Could Happen AnywhereIn the wake of a tragedy, there’s a race to understand exactly why it happened and what could have been done to prevent it. Maybe local law enforcement could have done more, maybe armed teachers would have helped, maybe the federal government should have been investigating the shooter as a terrorist. The shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, last Valentine's Day, where 17 people were killed and more than a dozen more were injured, was no different.The Marjory Stoneman Douglas School Safety Commission, an investigative panel convened by the state of Florida, was tasked with laying out the facts of what happened in the 78 minutes between when a gunman was dropped off by an Uber near campus, and when he was detained by police. In January, it released a 439-page report providing some answers about what went wrong, cataloging breaches of security, chaotic protocols, and… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Choosing Smart Embryos Isn’t ImmoralLet's say you're a fertility doctor advising would-be parents who have exactly two viable embryos ready for implantation. The parents want to implant only one embryo. This is not an uncommon scenario; more than 71,000 babies were born in the U.S. via assisted reproduction in 2016. For several decades now, folks using in vitro fertilization (IVF) have also tested for the single genes associated with certain heritable genetic diseases (such as cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease, or hemophilia) and chromosomal abnormalities (such as those that cause Down syndrome). Nearly three-quarters of Americans approve of this pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) testing for diseases that are fatal early in life, according to a 2015 survey in the Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, and two-thirds support it for conditions that cause lifelong disability. But let's say that in the case of these two embryos, you have more information. Perhaps test results indicate… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- The Least Vegas Neighborhood in VegasThe city’s Arts District offers theater without blue men or topless women, no poker tables, and the kind of indie food and bar scene not often seen on the Strip. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- 36 Hours: 36 Hours in Miami and Miami BeachFrom South Beach to Little Haiti and beyond, the metropolitan Miami area has plenty to offer everyone from beachgoers and music lovers to gallery hoppers and foodies. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Airbus to Halt Production of A380 as Orders Dry UpThe European plane maker says it will stop deliveries in 2021 for the jet, which became less competitive as people changed the way they flew. ..... Read More.1 week ago