Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
Latest Real News From 140 News Sites Updated Every 15 Minutes.
- Riding the ‘Other’ Cape: Cape AnnMid-morning sun warms Kettle Cove at low tide. Photos by the author.When New Englanders talk of “The Cape,” typically they mean Cape Cod, the flexing arm of Massachusetts that reaches from the South Shore into the Atlantic. But there’s another peninsula jutting into the Atlantic off the North Shore: Cape Ann. Here you’ll find “America’s Oldest Seaport,” scenic beaches, fresh seafood, stunning vistas and narrow, winding roads connecting it all. A map of the route taken, by Bill Tipton/compartmaps.com.The ride begins on State Route 127 in Beverly. You pass the oceanfront campus of Endicott College, where my daughter and money are both going. Each July, Endicott’s ocean-front Misselwood Cottage hosts a Concours d’Elegance, an event that may help you source a vintage Rolls-Royce or Duesenberg for the carriage house at your seaside estate. Homes built on rocks are common on Cape Ann’s coastline. As my wife likes to say, “That… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- 2019 Qatar MotoGP Race Wrap-Up—Déjà Vu In The Arabian Desert1 week ago
- Pakistan protest to ICC over India’s military caps in Australia ODIThe Pakistan Cricket Board protests to the ICC over India's players wearing military-style caps in the third ODI against Australia. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Silicon Valley Wants to Be Destroyed By AliensIn the 1996 Roland Emmerich film Independence Day, a powerful alien civilization attacks the Earth. Huge saucers 15 miles across lurk over major cities, literally foreshadowing their destruction. When the attack finally arrives, the vessels focus their power, signaled for cinema as an aquamarine glow, onto major monuments in each urban location. All are synecdoches for the cities and their cultures: The White House explodes, and with it the promise of representative democracy. An explosion radiates down the Empire State Building, an icon of industrial humanity’s rejection of impossibility.One of them is not like the others. In downtown Los Angeles, the Library Tower(now known as the U.S. Bank Tower) took the hit on the city’s behalf, its windows shattering as the alien beam pummeled through it. Once the tallest building in the city, the postmodern skyscraper bore negligible emotional value for Angelenos, whose urban glory was never defined by tall… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Eurovision 2019: The acts to look out for in Tel AvivThis year's Eurovision acts include anti-capitalists, a YouTube star, and a former sprint champion. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- The Consequences of Teen Motherhood Can Last for GenerationsA child whose mother had her as a teenager is set up to have a tough life. Compared with peers whose parents gave birth later, this child is at a greater risk of being born prematurely, of struggling to acquire basic skills such as literacy and self-control, and of underperforming in school.This child is also more likely to become a teen mother herself. Adolescent pregnancy isn’t genetic, but it is hereditary in a way. The child of a teen mom is bound to inherit the circumstances—poverty, familial instability—that potentially contributed to the pregnancy in the first place. And the baby might encounter those circumstances more acutely, because teen motherhood itself can create new layers of hardship for both parent and child. By the time the children of teen moms start school, many are already at a disadvantage relative to their peers.The good news is that women around the world are… ..... Read More.1 week ago