Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
Latest Real News From 140 News Sites Updated Every 15 Minutes.
- New Law Aims To Stop Predatory Truck BootingGeorgia has a reputation for having overly aggressive booting companies. So much so that some areas have banned booting entirely. Now, a new law has gone into effect which will regulate booting companies in all of DeKalb County. When a vehicle is parked somewhere that it’s not supposed to be on private property, private companies can (in some places) put “boots” on them. The driver must then pay to have the boot removed. Prior to Tuesday, there were no laws at all regulating booting in DeKalb County. Truckers were forced to pay $600 or more to remove boots from their vehicles. Often police were called and drivers reported that they had been away from their vehicles for only a few minutes. Complaints about predatory business practices finally spurred the DeKalb County Commission to action. On Tuesday, the Commission voted the new law into effect. Now boot removal must… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Man Pulls Gun To Show Trucker He’s “Not As Tough As I Am”A motorist is in jail after he allegedly pointed a gun at a trucker during a road rage incident. He told police that he wanted to show the trucker that he’s “not as tough as I am.” Cole Aaron Smith was merging onto I-90 near Bozeman, Montana at around 8:00am. He had difficulty merging due to a semi-truck that was in the lane next to him. Smith made his displeasure known by pulling up alongside the truck and flipping off the driver. According to charging documents, Smith claims that the driver then returned a rude gesture. Smith says this prompted him to pull out his concealed carry handgun to show the trucker. During his interview, Smith told officers that he showed the trucker his gun to say: “If you’re going to cause me to go into the other side of road, like, I have this and I’ll shoot… ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Kill the Lame DuckWhat we’re witnessing in Wisconsin, Michigan and elsewhere is undemocratic and clearly at odds with the will of the public. Why do we allow it? ..... Read More.1 week ago
- The Hardest Glass Ceiling in PoliticsThis was supposed to be the year of the woman. But dozens of female political operatives say they weren’t invited to the party. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- Check In: Hotel Review: Sleek Minimalism in the AzoresThe White Exclusive Suites & Villas, in the Portuguese archipelago of the Azores, brings a touch of modern style to the island of São Miguel. ..... Read More.1 week ago
- The Collateral Damage of Tumblr’s Porn BanEarlier this week, the blogging platform Tumblr announced it would be scrubbing itself of “adult content.” The move doesn’t just affect how people look at and exchange nude photos on a downtrodden platform—it portends a broad shift in how we experience intimacy and connection online, in how user-generated content is managed, and in how tech maintains its stranglehold on the digital commons.The “adult content” Tumblr will be banning, the company wrote, “primarily includes photos, videos, or GIFs that show real-life human genitals or female-presenting nipples, and any content—including photos, videos, GIFs and illustrations—that depicts sex acts.” But what the company is really going after is a four-letter word strangely missing from its 538-word announcement: porn. Tumblr may be home to personal blogs, community forums, and foodie photo collections, but pornography makes up a huge part of its reputation. A friend of mine texted me that Tumblr ending porn is like… ..... Read More.1 week ago