Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Federal Judges Overrule Ohio Supreme Court: Mandate Voided Voting MapThe decision is a win for the Republican-dominated redistricting commission, which passed five straight sets of legislative maps that couldn’t meet constitutional muster. ..... Read More.51 mins ago
- Drivers: We are facing a national emergencyThis Memorial Day kicks off what could be one of the most dangerous summer travel seasons in recent history. The alarming spike in drunk driving deaths and injuries during the pandemic is a wake-up call to every one of us on America’s roads. We have to do better. During the 2020 Memorial Day period, 41 percent of fatalities involved an alcohol-impaired driver, according to the National Safety Council. And the latest data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows projected 2021 traffic fatalities were 10.5 percent higher than in 2020. The agency said an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year,10,000 more than in 2011. Impaired driving, speeding and not using seatbelts continue to be contributing factors. U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg recognized that these numbers demand action. “We face a crisis on America’s roadways that we must address together,” he said. We at Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)… ..... Read More.53 mins ago
- Trump says ‘existence of evil’ is why law-abiding Americans need Second AmendmentFormer President Trump offered remarks Friday at the 2022 NRA convention in Houston as he touted his administration's work to preserve the Second Amendment. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Abbott: New laws will come from school shootingTexas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) on Friday said he expects new laws to be enacted in response the shooting this week that killed 21 people at an elementary school. “Do we expect any laws to come out of this devastating crime? The answer is yes. Absolutely yes,” Abbott said. When asked about calling a special session for the legislature in response to the shooting, he said “all options are on the table.” Since the shooting, Republicans have focused their messaging on school security, while Democrats are advocating for more gun control. When pressed further on measures Texas could see, Abbott focused on mental health and school safety. “You can expect robust discussion and my hope is laws passed that I will sign addressing health care in this state,” Abbott said. “There are an array of health issues that relate to those who commit gun crimes.” Abbott seemed more resistant to… ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Trump digs at politicians who canceled NRA appearances: ‘Got to show up’Former President Donald Trump criticized politicians who did not show up at the NRA convention in Houston after the school shooting in Texas. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Accelerated approval: unfulfilled promises for FDA’s expedited review programAs practicing physicians, approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reassures us that the treatments we prescribe our patients have been rigorously vetted as effective and safe. For a growing number of drugs, however, FDA approval comes with lingering uncertainty of their benefit. Under the accelerated approval pathway, FDA provisionally approves drugs based on surrogate endpoints, such as laboratory or imaging results that are proxies for disease progression, with the requirement that manufacturers conduct clinical trials following approval to confirm clinical benefit. This arrangement is intended to speed access to promising treatments, with the expectation that manufacturers will confirm that the drugs improve how patients feel, function, or survive. But manufacturers have largely failed to hold up their end of the bargain — nearly half of drugs granted accelerated approval have not been confirmed to be clinically beneficial. Deadlines to complete postapproval trials are often generous, and the trials that are completed… ..... Read More.1 hour ago