Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- The House GOP Is A Failed StateBack in January, when Kevin McCarthy started moving his stuff into the House speaker’s office before colleagues had actually voted him into the job, Matt Gaetz accused him of being “a squatter.” That is the kind of raucous insult for which Gaetz has demonstrated special fluency. But give the Florida Republican his due: Squatter turned out to be a perfectly apt description of the now-former House speaker. For nine months, McCarthy had the title and the gavel and a Capitol suite with a nice view. But he never really held the office of speaker in anything like the historic meaning of that job. He never inspired fear. He sought favor from GOP colleagues — 210 of whom actually stayed with him until the end — but he had scant influence to bestow favors in return. He wasn’t associated with any particular governing idea. At the start, his speakership was effectively… ..... Read More.31 mins ago
- Nancy Pelosi evicted from her private office in the Capitol by interim House speakerFormer House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was evicted from her private Capitol office by the new speaker pro-tempore. Fox News Digital confirmed that House Speaker pro-tempore Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., gave the order to Pelosi to vacate her Capitol hideaway by Wednesday. McHenry is a close ally to now-former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., who was ousted from his role on Tuesday. McHenry's eviction order was one of the congressman's first acts as the top House lawmaker. WHO IS PATRICK MCHENRY, SPEAKER PRO TEMPORE OF HOUSE FOLLOWING MCCARTHY'S OUSTER? Pelosi was notified of the eviction, first reported by Politico, in an email. The email said the former speaker's hideaway was being reassigned "for speaker office use." "Please vacate the space tomorrow, the room will be re-keyed," the email read. Pelosi moved out of her hideaway on Tuesday, with help from the staff of House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., according to… ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- GOP lawmakers float Trump for House speaker after McCarthy’s oustingAs Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., has been booted from his post as House speaker after a motion to vacate brought forth by hardliner Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Calif., an unlikely nominee has been suggested as next speaker: former President Donald Trump. Texas Rep. Troy Nehls said in a statement Tuesday afternoon his first order of business when the House reconvenes "will be to nominate Donald J. Trump for Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives." "President Trump, the greatest President of my lifetime, has a proven record of putting America First and will make the House great again," he said. Rep. Greg Steube, R-Fla., followed suit in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Tuesday evening: "@realDonaldTrump for Speaker." MATT GAETZ INTRODUCES MOTION TO VACATE AGAINST HOUSE SPEAKER KEVIN MCCARTHY The next speaker does not have to be a current sitting member in the House, but every speaker in U.S.… ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Top Republican Rep. Steve Scalise working behind the scenes to replace Kevin McCarthy as speakerHouse Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., is seeking support to replace former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who was removed in a narrow vote earlier Tuesday, Fox News Digital has learned. Sources familiar with the situation told Fox that Scalise has been making calls behind the scenes to shore up support ahead a possible vote Wednesday to select the next speaker. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Senate Republicans Aghast At Unprecedented House GOP Chaos“It’s a pathway to chaos. It’s like a shutdown,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) said after Kevin McCarthy was ousted as House speaker. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Kari Lake Files Paperwork To Run For Senate In ArizonaLake is the favorite for the Republican nomination in what's shaping up to be a three-way general election race. ..... Read More.2 hours ago