Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- In divided America, Mueller report hardens the most stridentAfter months as volunteer activists demanding that President Donald Trump be impeached, Eileen and Michael O'Brien sat on their couch on Thursday, cracked open a laptop and began to read the 448-page special counsel report that liberals have dreamed would make impeachment a reality. ..... Read More.29 mins ago
- Trump’s Guardrails Are GoneOne Saturday in June 2017, President Donald Trump called Don McGahn twice at home. The president ordered the White House counsel to fire Robert Mueller, who at that point had been leading the Russia probe for one month. “You gotta do this,” Trump told him. “You gotta call Rod.” In his second call, Trump told McGahn, “Call me back when you do it.”The special counsel’s report—released on Thursday to the public—goes on to reveal that McGahn refused to call the then-Acting Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and direct him to fire Mueller. Instead McGahn called then-Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and then chief strategist Steve Bannon to let them know he was resigning, that the president had asked him to “do crazy shit.” But Priebus and Bannon convinced him to stick around. McGahn relented. The president never brought up the question again—and a potentially criminal act of obstruction of justice was… ..... Read More.34 mins ago
- The Real Illegal Immigration Crisis Isn’t on the Southern BorderIf curbing illegal immigration is the goal, as politicians in the United States and Europe argue, then no wall or border fence will stop the West’s largest source of such immigrants. They are not the subject of televised debates or of long stories highlighting their plight. Many are invisible, making them hard to count, and little attention is paid to them. Yet focusing on them might yield better results than focusing on those fleeing violence and persecution.The group in question? Visa overstays.These immigrants, who enter countries legally on student, tourist, or work visas and then stay past their visa’s expiration date, are often overlooked in the discussion of illegal immigration. But in the past 10 years, visa overstays in the United States have outnumbered border crossings by a ratio of about 2 to 1, according to Robert Warren, who was for a decade the director of the statistics division at… ..... Read More.34 mins ago
- Democrats Confront the Price of Campaign-Finance PurityThe 2020 race for the White House will undoubtedly be a battle both of ideology and personality. But it is also shaping up as a clash of two opposing forces: the ever-expanding, $1 billion industry that is a modern presidential campaign, and the Democratic Party’s move away from the top-down approach to fundraising that has fueled American politics for decades.So far, the progressive push toward campaign-finance purity is winning, and that’s worrying Democrats who believe the party literally can’t afford to leave money on the table if it wants to defeat President Donald Trump next year.The three most prolific fundraisers in the sprawling Democratic presidential primary field—Senators Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris and former Representative Beto O’Rourke—hauled in just under $40 million total in the first quarter of 2019. That was enough to easily surpass the $30 million that the Trump campaign added to its coffers. But it represented a… ..... Read More.34 mins ago
- ‘National Enquirer’ To Be Sold To Hudson News Heir James CohenThe tabloid's parent company, American Media Inc., has become embroiled in controversies surrounding President Trump. It also sparred with Jeff Bezos over blackmail accusations.(Image credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images) ..... Read More.35 mins ago
- Kremlin says Mueller report shows no evidence of Russian meddlingThe Kremlin said on Friday U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's long-awaited report did not contain any evidence the Russian state had meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. ..... Read More.36 mins ago