Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Family of fallen officer snubs McConnell, McCarthy at Jan. 6 Gold Medal ceremonyFamily members of the late officer Brian Sicknick, who died after the Jan. 6, 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol, appeared to snub Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Tuesday, passing by the pair without shaking their hands at a ceremony to honor officers. C-SPAN footage shows some of the officers and their family members moving down a line of lawmakers, first shaking the hand of Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and then passing by McConnell and McCarthy. McConnell kept his hand outstretched as the honorees walked by. Sicknick's mother, Gladys Sicknick, and brother, Ken Sicknick, were among those who declined to shake the Republican leaders' hands, according to multiple reports. McCarthy did not appear to extend his hand, holding on to a box containing one of the medals as the recipients filed by. The lawmakers were gathered in the Capitol Rotunda to… ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Al Franken among ‘Daily Show’ guest hosts set for 2023Former Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) is going from the daily grind of Congress to “The Daily Show,” taking a turn as a guest host following Trevor Noah’s departure. The ex-lawmaker will temporarily take the reins on the Comedy Central show as part of a rotation of guest hosts in 2023, the network announced Tuesday. “Saturday Night Live” alum Franken, one of several performers being tapped to fill the guest host role, resigned from the Senate in 2017 following sexual misconduct allegations from multiple women, including a photo in which he was seen reaching toward a woman’s breasts while she was sleeping. He has denied any wrongdoing. Noah, in a surprise move, announced in September that he was exiting the faux political news show. Friday will mark Noah’s last day after seven years as host. "Trevor redefined the show, as did Jon Stewart before him, and as we look to the… ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- ‘What am I doing in the Democratic Party?’: NY Councilman announces exit from Democratic...New York Councilman Ari Kagan made the decision to leave the Democratic Party for the GOP after claiming the party was not properly tackling the crime crisis in his state. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- White House fires back at Biden critics, says border visit would be a ‘political stunt’The White House struck back at critics attacking President Biden for stating he had "more important things" to do than visit the U.S.-Mexico border while in Arizona on Tuesday. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- U.S. DOJ subpoenas Wisconsin county election officials for Trump communicationsWisconsin officials received the requests for records at the same time officials in Maricopa County, Arizona, and Wayne County, Michigan, received similar subpoenas. ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- What is the Supreme Court’s understanding of our democracy?When the current Supreme Court justices who were appointed by Republican presidents (six of the nine-member court) try to justify the elimination of long-standing fundamental constitutional rights, or regulations to protect our environment, they are fond of referring to the importance of “the people” having a say through their “elected representatives.” For example, on June 24, Justice Samuel Alito proclaimed on behalf of Justices Amy Coney Barrett, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas in Dobbs that it is time to “return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.” On June 30, Gorsuch informed us in West Virginia v. EPA that the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Clean Power Plan for reducing carbon dioxide emissions must be overturned because “none of us wishes to abandon our Republic’s promise that the people and their representatives should have a meaningful say in the laws that govern them.” These statements… ..... Read More.1 hour ago