Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- How Deep Blue Maryland Shows Redistricting Is BrokenIn spring 2011, the six Democratic members of Maryland’s congressional delegations tasked Eric Hawkins with two key jobs: Draw new district lines that get us re-elected easily for another five terms, while also taking direct aim at the state’s last two Republicans.Behind closed doors, Democratic insiders and high-ranking aides referred to it as “the 7-1 map.” Hawkins—an analyst at a Beltway data firm called NCEC Services—not only made it happen, but imagined an 8-0 map that might have shut Republicans out of power altogether. That, however, would have required spreading Democratic voters a little too thin and made some incumbents slightly less safe; these congressmen were partisans, sure, but they were also reluctant to risk their own seats.New court depositions and previously unseen emails uncover just how determined Maryland Democrats were to take a seat from the Republicans and knock 10-term veteran Roscoe Bartlett—an idiosyncratic conservative who after losing his… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- The Kabuki Theater of the AHCAThe United States has never had a Senate leader as ruthless, as willing to bend, distort and break the rules, traditions and precedents of the Senate as Mitch McConnell. And the Senate has probably never had a majority leader as effective at accomplishing his goals as Mitch McConnell—making even Lyndon Johnson look like a neophyte in comparison.That is why no one should believe that the McConnell-crafted health-policy bill is dead, despite the growing opposition and the fact that the overwhelming majority of health-policy analysts and health providers say the bill is a walking disaster. It eviscerates Medicaid—a program widely misunderstood as simply insurance for poor people, but which uses most of its money for long-term care for the elderly, and basic protection for the disabled and mentally ill populations. The overall Medicaid cuts, while spread over a longer time frame, are more severe than the draconian House bill!The McConnell bill… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Meet Brynneth Pawltro, Kentucky Town’s New Pit Bull MayorWDRB 41 Louisville NewsThe small Kentucky town of Rabbit Hash has a new mayor. Brynneth Pawltro is outgoing and has a great smile, said the town’s residents of their new elected official. She also happens to be a dog.“There’s always inappropriate licking going on,” Bobbi Kayser, secretary of the town’s historical society, told WDRB.com of how meetings with the new mayor tend to go. Brynneth, or Brynn for short, is a 3-year-old rescue pit bull. She edged out several contenders, including Stella the cat and a donkey named Higgins, to win the mayoral election. According to People, Brynn amassed more than 3,300 votes, winning the election by a “landslide.”This adorable pit bull just got elected Mayor of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky! https://t.co/XrsO8Fkc6D pic.twitter.com/9Ye7mMtFFb— NYCLASS (@nyclass) November 14, 2016This is Brynn’s first foray into politics, but it’s not the first time that Rabbit Hash has had a canine mayor. WDRB.com reported this week… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Schwarzenegger And Macron Troll Trump Over Climate ChangeI was truly honored to meet with President @EmmanuelMacron about how we can work together for a clean energy future. He's a great leader. pic.twitter.com/MSoxjIruup— Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) June 23, 2017New best bros Arnold Schwarzenegger and French President Emmanuel Macron teamed up in Paris to talk about the Paris climate agreement and global warming. They also pulled off a selfie video not-so-surreptitiously aimed at you-know-who: that other president.The video, posted to Schwarzenegger’s Twitter on Friday, is labeled: “With President Macron, a great leader.” The former California governor notes on the vid: “I’m here with President Macron. We’re talking about environmental issues and a green future.”Macron pipes in: “And now we will deliver together to make the planet great again.”Macron coined his “great planet” line — a pointed twist on Donald Trump’s “make America great again” catchphrase — after Trump announced early this month that he was backing out of the Paris climate… ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- Bernie Sanders Slams ‘Moral Outrage’ Of Trumpcare At Pittsburgh RallySen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) headlined the start of a campaign against Trumpcare Saturday night before some 1,000 angry people in the Pittsburgh Convention Center, calling the plan slicing millions from insurance coverage an unconscionable “moral outrage.”“This so-called health care bill passed in the House last month is the most anti-working-class piece legislation passed by the House of Representatives in the modern history of this country,” said Sanders. “And the Senate bill ... is even worse.”“We will not allow 23 million Americans to be thrown off of the health insurance they currently have in order to give over $500 billion in tax breaks to the top two percent, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, and to other multi-national corporations,” he added.“What kind of a country are we if anyone can come before you and talk about cutting health care for children with disabilities in order to give tax breaks to… ..... Read More.10 hours ago
- Koch brothers group set to give up to $400 million to midterm candidates who ‘go big...Republican candidates facing midterm elections will be bolstered by up to $400 million of outside spending from the Koch brothers' network of donors, the group said Saturday. ..... Read More.10 hours ago