Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Republic Records Eliminates Usage Of “Urban”; Urges Rest Of Industry To Follow...Republic Records announced today they will remove the term “Urban” from describing departments, employee titles, and music styles. From a radio industry perspective I agree 100%. Over the past year I have been using Hip-Hop and Adult R&B as format descriptors for what the radio and music industry has long coined “Urban” and “Urban AC”. It is our belief that the “Urban” branding coined by WBLS New York programmer Frankie Crocker in the 1970s has outlived its usefulness both societally and in terms of properly defining the music. “Urban” music does not exist just in the inner cities and it should not be a PC way to say “black music”. The days of Hot AC stations defining themselves as “Today’s Best Music Without the Rap” have been gone since the turn of the century. Hip-Hop and R&B are mass appeal formats and should be treated as such.… ..... Read More.9 hours ago
- 105.3 The Bone Adds Woody & WilcoxNRG Media Classic Rock “105.3 The Bone” KLNC Lincoln NE is filling in its programming schedule with the addition of Sun Broadcast Group’s “Woody & Wilcox” for mornings. KLNC will become the 14th affilate for Woody & Wilcox, who remain based at iHeartMedia Alternative “106.5 The End” WEND Charlotte NC. KLNC flipped from Classic Hits to Classic Rock in March under OM/PD/afternoon host Steve King. NRG Media’s 105.3 FM (KLNC-FM) in Lincoln, Neb. is bringing in a new crew for wake-up duties on 105.3 The Bone, starting Monday, June 8th with Woody and Wilcox. The show originates from WEND (106.5 The End) in Charlotte, N.C., and is syndicated in 13 markets across the country covering a variety of Rock formats. This will add a 14th market to their roster. Steve King (Program Director/Operations Manager) said, “Since 105.3 The Bone was launched in March, the idea was to… ..... Read More.11 hours ago
- Why Music Radio Needs News AgainIt is something few broadcasters could have imagined four months ago, and yet it was the only possible response to our times. There is news again on major-market music radio. Sometimes it is the bulletin from the news station down the hall. Sometimes it is the on-air host negotiating a new set of duties. There are listeners again being heard on the airwaves of music radio stations. We thought they wouldn’t call a radio station anymore for anything other than the “Impossible Question.” Now we have too many impossible questions to answer, none of them trivial. And if a host says to listeners, “maybe you have something you want to talk about this afternoon,” they usually do. Ten years ago, as PPM measurement became currency throughout the top 50 markets, and its resulting programming dogma impacted all radio, many stations asked their personalities to say less.… ..... Read More.14 hours ago
- Virginia’s All News 102 Returns To WTYD SimulcastLocal Voice Media has dropped the “All News 102” trimulcast on 102.1 WXTG-FM Virginia Beach, 107.9 WBQK West Point/Williamsburg, and 1490 WXTG/101.9 W270DA Hampton VA and flipped the stations to a simulcast of AAA “92.3 The Tide” WTYD Deltaville. WXTG and WXTG-FM previously simulcasted WTYD until debuting the News format in January 2019. WBQK flipped from Classical to pickup the format on June 1, 2019. The simulcast should be short-lived on at least one of the stations. 1490 WXTG/101.9 W270DA were sold to Terry Suggs’ TL Broadcasting for $150,000 in April. We have confirmed that Local Voice Media President/CEO Tom Davis has exited the company, which also owns stations in Wilmington NC. Davis launched the company in 2005 with the purchase of WTYD and WBQK after previously owning stations in Massachusetts. The post Virginia’s All News 102 Returns To WTYD Simulcast appeared first… ..... Read More.16 hours ago
- Big Rick Daniels To Program WTVY-FM DothanHeritage Communications Country “Goober 95.1” WGGC Bowling Green KY morning host ‘Big Rick’ Daniels has exited the station to join Gulf South Communications as Program Director of Country 95.5 WTVY-FM Dothan AL and cluster Digital Brands Manager. Daniels joined WGGC in April 2019 after previously hosting afternoons at Cumulus Country “Kissin 92.3” KIZN Boise. Daniels has also worked at stations across the midwest with time in Evansville, Muncie and Fort Wayne IN and Owensboro KY. Daniels will succeed John Garrett as PD at WTVY. Garrett joined WTVY last August but announced his intention to step down earlier this year once a replacement was named. The post Big Rick Daniels To Program WTVY-FM Dothan appeared first on RadioInsight. ..... Read More.16 hours ago
- FCC Fines WMBT-LP/Gainesville FL $1500 for Late RenewalThe FCC's Media Bureau has slapped Family Unity Outreach Ministry's low power FM station WMBT-LP/Gainesville, FL, with a $1,500 fine for not renewing it license on time. The Commission said that an application for renewal of the station's license should have been ..... Read More.17 hours ago