Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Trump administration issues rule to set one national fuel economy standard – Roa...The new rule is part of the White House's proposal to freeze fuel economy standards. ..... Read More.31 mins ago
- Ginkgo Bioworks’ dev shop for genetic programming is now worth $4 billionGinkgo Bioworks is now worth $4 billion after a $290 million capital infusion that will give the company the cash to dramatically expand its developer shop for genetic programming. The Boston-based company is one of a handful of U.S.-based early-stage companies that are on the forefront of developing the tools to modify genetic material for everyday applications. “Cells are programmable similar to computers because they run on digital code in the form of DNA.” said Jason Kelly, CEO and co-founder of Ginkgo Bioworks, in a statement. “Ginkgo has the best compiler and debugger for writing genetic code and we use it program cells for customers in a range of industries. Today’s fundraise will allow us expand our technology and continue our drive to bring biology into every physical goods industry – materials, clothing, electronics, food, pharmaceuticals, and more. They are all biotech industries but just don’t know it yet.” Ginkgo… ..... Read More.43 mins ago
- Huawei’s Mate 30 phones lack Google servicesThe phones will offer Facebook's apps via Huawei's own store but are not pre-loaded with Google's. ..... Read More.53 mins ago
- ‘The best VC on Instagram’ is now VC-backedAbout 18 months ago, Jenny Gyllander created an Instagram account by the name @thingtesting. The premise was simple. Gyllander, who was at the center of the London startup ecosystem as an investor with the British seed fund Backed.VC, would upload photos of interesting direct-to-consumer products with a caption that served as a bite-sized review. The experiment began with Birchbox, a provider of curated boxes of beauty products that rose to prominence amid the subscription box hype of yesteryear. In her short review, tailored perfectly for the Instagram generation, Gyllander admitted to being “like 10 years late to this much hyped subscription-everything party,” adding that “after two boxes and ten products, only three products were relevant to me.” Her honesty, and perhaps more importantly, her brevity, garnered her a small following of venture capitalists, founders and consumer brand enthusiasts. … ..... Read More.55 mins ago
- Quilt Data launches from stealth with free portal to access petabytes of public dataQuilt Data‘s founders, Kevin Moore and Aneesh Karve, have been hard at work for the last four years building a platform to search for data quickly across vast repositories on AWS S3 storage. The idea is to give data scientists a way to find data in S3 buckets, and then package that data in forms that a business can use. Today, the company launched out of stealth with a free data search portal that not only proves what they can do, but also provides valuable access to 3.7 petabytes of public data across 23 S3 repositories. The public data repository includes publicly available Amazon review data along with satellite images and other high-value public information. The product works like any search engine, where you enter a query, but instead of searching the web or an enterprise repository, it finds the results in S3 storage on AWS. The results not only… ..... Read More.1 hour ago
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro launches with 4 cameras, 0 Google apps – CNETPromising hardware, questionable software. ..... Read More.1 hour ago