Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Fast-growing Madison Reed is eyeing men’s hair next; “We’re going to blow the doors ...Amy Errett’s company, Madison Reed, sells in-home care color. It may not sound like a glamorous business but, as it turns out, it’s a very durable one, done the right way. Not only has the seven-year-old outfit been slowing chipping away at the dominant personal care giants like L’Oreal that have long controlled what’s currently a $30 billion market, but during one of the most dramatic economic downturns of the past century, it has been attracting new customers for whom a salon has not been an option. In fact, Errett — who was previously a VC with Maveron Ventures and has a side hustle as a venture partner with True Ventures — says the 300-person company is seeing revenue in excess of $100 million per year and that it will be profitable in the second half of this year. Presumably, that makes it a likely candidate for an IPO in… ..... Read More.5 hours ago
- Lidar helps uncover an ancient, kilometer-long Mayan structureLidar is fast becoming one of the most influential tools in archaeology, revealing things in a few hours what might have taken months of machete wielding and manual measurements otherwise. The latest such discovery is an enormous Mayan structure, more than a kilometer long, 3,000 years old, and seemingly used for astronomical observations. Takeshi Inomata of the University of Arizona is the lead author of the paper describing the monumental artificial plateau, published in the journal Nature. This unprecedented structure — by far the largest and oldest of its type — may remind you of another such discovery, the “Mayan megalopolis” found in Guatemala two years ago. How aerial lidar illuminated a Mayan megalopolis Such huge structures, groups of foundations, and other evidence of human activity may strike you as obvious. But when you’re on the ground they’re not nearly as obvious as you’d think — usually because… ..... Read More.8 hours ago
- Coronavirus face mask lights up with moving mouth shapesA games designer creates a face mask that shows animated mouth shapes as you speak. ..... Read More.8 hours ago
- How Bill Gates became the voodoo doll of Covid conspiraciesThe ex-Microsoft head is currently the target of all kinds of outlandish theories and false claims. ..... Read More.8 hours ago
- Aukey introduces an extremely compact 100w chargerLet’s talk about chargers. They are, quite possibly, the least exciting thing about a computer. Don’t get me wrong. They’re necessary, obviously. But when was the last time you got really psyched about one? And yet, here I am, tech blogger guy telling you that today is the first day of the rest of your charger-loving life. Why? Because of three alternately cased letters: GaN. Back at CES, I wrote a piece titled “GaN chargers are still worth getting excited about.” I stand by it. And you, too, will stand by GaN. That’s short for Gallium Nitride, by the way. The main thing you need to know about it is that it has allowed accessory manufactures to jam a lot of wattage into a surprisingly compact footprint. I’ve been pretty smitten with them since picking up Anker’s 30w PowerPort Atom the CES prior. The thing wasn’t the world’s… ..... Read More.8 hours ago
- Demonstrating 15 contact tracing and other tools built to mitigate the impact of COVID-19Andy Moss Contributor Share on Twitter Andy Moss is currently a Visiting Professor at NYU Tandon teaching entrepreneurship and innovation as well developing the COR Methodology, an active advisor/mentor to startups and business leaders, and is a former Microsoft executive. Connor Spelliscy Contributor Share on Twitter Connor Spelliscy is Director of New Platforms at Hangar, a partner at Connectivity Fund and helps lead COVID-19 Tech Task Force initiatives. John Borthwick Contributor Share on Twitter John Borthwick is the founder and CEO of betaworks, has been a leader and early-stage investor in New York technology for more than two decades and is leading the COVID-19 Tech Task Force. Personal-symptom trackers, digital contact-tracing and exposure-notification tools are under… ..... Read More.8 hours ago