Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Bookstagram: Influencers sharing their passion for readingReading influencers grew in popularity during lockdown as people fell back in love with books. ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- Pinterest tests online events with dedicated ‘class communities’Pinterest is getting into online events. The company has been spotted testing a new feature that allows users to sign up for Zoom classes through Pinterest, while creators use Pinterest’s class boards to organize class materials, notes, and other resources, or even connect with attendees through a group chat option. The company confirmed the test of online classes is an experiment now in development, but wouldn’t offer further details about its plans. The feature itself was discovered on Tuesday by reverse engineer Jane Manchun Wong, who found details about the online classes by looking into the app’s code. Pinterest is working on Classes where participants can join via Zoom pic.twitter.com/vhRtMCHpup — Jane Manchun Wong (@wongmjane) November 24, 2020 Currently, you can visit some of these “demo” profiles directly — like “@pinsmeditation” or “@pinzoom123,” for example — and view their listed Class Communities. However, these communities are empty… ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- Police case filed against Netflix executives in India over ‘A Suitable Boy’ kissing sceneNetflix, which has invested more than $500 million to gain a foothold in India in recent years, is slowly finding out just about what all could upset some people in the world’s second-largest internet market: Apparently everything. A police case has been filed this week against two top executives of the American streaming service in India after a leader of the governing party objected to some scenes in a TV series. The show, “A Suitable Boy,” is an adaptation of the award-winning novel by Indian author Vikram Seth that follows the life of a young girl. It has a scene in which the protagonist is seeing kissing a Muslim boy at a Hindu temple. Narottam Mishra, the interior minister of the central state of Madhya Pradesh, said a First Information Report (an official police complaint) had been filed against Monika Shergill, VP of Content at Netflix and Ambika Khurana,… ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- SpaceX targeting next week for Starship’s first high-altitude test flightSpaceX looks ready to proceed to the next crucial phase of its Starship spacecraft development program: A 15km (50,000 feet) test flight. This would far exceed the max height that any prior Starship prototype has achieved so far, since the current record-setting hop test maxed out at around 500 feet. Elon Musk says that SpaceX will look to make its first high-altitude attempt sometime next week. This tentative date (these are always subject to change) follows a successful static test fire of the current SN8 generation prototype – essentially just firing the test spacecraft’s Raptor engines while it remains stationary o the pad. That’s a crucial step that paves the way for any actual flight, since it proves that the spacecraft can essentially hold together and withstand the pressures of active engines before it leaves the ground. SpaceX’s SN8 prototype is different from prior versions in a number… ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- New venture firm The-Wolfpack takes a fresh approach to D2C startupsThe-Wolfpack’s co-founders, Toh Jin Wei, Tan Kok Chin and Simon Nichols (Image Credit: The-Wolfpack) The COVID-19 pandemic has hit the consumer, leisure and media companies hard, but a new venture firm called The-Wolfpack is still very upbeat on those sectors. Based in Singapore, the firm was founded by former managing directors at GroupM, one of the world’s largest advertising and media companies, and plans to work very closely with each of its portfolio companies. Its name was chosen because they believe “entrepreneurs thrive best in a wolfpack.” The-Wolfpack’s debut fund, called the Wolfpack Pioneer VCC, is already fully subscribed at $5 million USD, and will focus on direct-to-consumer companies, with plans to invest in eight to 10 startups. The firm is already looking to raise a second fund, with a target of $20 million SGD (about $14.9 million USD) and above, and will set up another office in Thailand, with… ..... Read More.7 hours ago
- How Verge Aero’s drones pulled off an Election Day win as big as Biden’sCarlye Wisel Contributor Share on Twitter Carlye Wisel is a theme park journalist reporting on everything from Mickey Mouse weddings to mid-pandemic roller coaster rides. Her podcast, Very Amusing with Carlye Wisel, explores untold stories and secrets behind how experiences are created at Disney and Universal theme park resorts. 2020 has felt excessively long, and Election Day was no different. A drawn-out, five-day statistics exam for the nation, the process of naming our 46th president was met with exhaustion and, for many, elation when Joe Biden finally took the stage in Wilmington, Delaware, to deliver his acceptance speech. The speech would have been the most noteworthy moment of the evening if only there hadn’t been that drone show, wowing both America and Biden himself, whose wide-eyed look of awe was immediately meme-ified. The patriotic display was the… ..... Read More.8 hours ago