Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Byju’s targets global expansion for its digital education service after raising $540MIndia-based educational startup Byju’s was widely reported to have raised a massive $400 million round and now the company is making things official. The ten-year-old company revealed today it has pulled in a total of $540 million from investors to go after international opportunities. The round is led by Naspers, the investment firm famous for backing Tencent that also includes educational firms Udemy, Codecademy and Brainly among its portfolio. The Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) provided “a significant portion” of the round, according to an announcement which also revealed that the deal included some secondary share sales. A source told TechCrunch that’s from Sequoia India, an early investor which is cashing in a piece of its winnings. This round takes Byju’s to $775 million from investors to date. Its backers include Tencent, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative — from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife — General… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- Meeshkan raises €370K for its ‘ChatOps’ bot for training machine learning modelsMeeshkan, a Finnish startup that made quite a splash at the recent Slush conference, has quietly raised €370,000 in pre-seed funding to continue developing its “ChatOps” product for machine learning developers. Deployed on Slack, the bot allows developers to “rapidly stop, restart, fork, tweak, monitor, deploy and test machine learning models” without interrupting the collaborative workflows they are accustomed to or being forced to go back and forth between disparate developer tools. Under the hood, Meeshkan says it uses patent-pending tech for speedily partitioning of data-flow across distributed infrastructure. Related to this, the burgeoning company is currently partnering with Northeastern University and CUDA to develop “zero-downtime” checkpointing of ML models in TensorFlow and PyTorch. In an email exchange, Meeshkan founder Mike Solomon explained that training ML models is currently done through command line interfaces and web dashboards, which is not optimum for collaboration. This is because teams typically need… ..... Read More.4 hours ago
- BMW’s premium ride-hailing service is now live in ChinaBMW has joined a handful of automakers to compete with transportation upstart Didi Chuxing, which bought Uber’s Chinese business in 2016. Last Friday, the German luxury carmaker launched a premium ride-hailing service in Chengdu, the capital of China’s Sichuan Province with over 14 million people. The new offer is part of BMW’s ReachNow carsharing brand that kicked off an electric vehicle rental business with a local partner last December. The new ride-hailing venture manages a crew of trained drivers to chauffer riders in a fleet of 200 BMW 5 Series, out of which half are plug-in-hybrid, according to the company. “We are excited to offer our new premium ride-hailing service in Chengdu, one of the largest ride-hailing hubs in the world embracing mobility solutions for a sustainable urban future,” said Peter Schwarzenbauer, member of BMW AG’s board of management, in a statement. ReachNow trips appear to be pricier than those on Didi’s “luxury”… ..... Read More.6 hours ago
- Enter to win* a Lego Bugatti Chiron kit! – RoadshowWe're giving away a Lego Technic: Bugatti Chiron model kit for one lucky follower. This sweepstakes ends Dec. 16, 2018. ..... Read More.10 hours ago
- Senate report said to show extent of Russian interference in 2016 US election – ...Report shows Russian agents sought to secure Trump win. ..... Read More.14 hours ago
- Best mobile games of 2018 – CNETLooking for a new game to play on your phone or tablet? Here are our picks of the best mobile games. ..... Read More.14 hours ago