Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Noise-canceling headphones that pair big sound with sweet silenceI never thought I’d need a pair of serious noise-canceling headphones. I don’t mind hours of droning white noise on international flights and generally don’t like feeling like my head’s been locked in an airless tomb, so I’ve always used open headphones that let ambient sound in. But 2020 broke me. I’ve always preferred the hushed, mild chatter of a coworking space to the distractions of home (no offense to my wife who has to be on Zoom all day, every day!). Stranded without the productivity-inspiring hum of a lot of people doing their own thing in one space together, I suddenly needed quiet in a serious way. And I was ready to invest in it. We’ll focus on over-ear headphones here because if you need the absolute best noise canceling money can buy, chunky ear-hugging headphones are always going to blow earbud-style options out of the water. And… ..... Read More.10 hours ago
- Daily Crunch: Twitter will bring back verificationTwitter prepares to hand out more blue checkmarks, YouTube suspends OANN and Discord is raising a big funding round. This is your Daily Crunch for November 24, 2020. The big story: Twitter will bring back verification Twitter paused its blue checkmark verification system in 2017 as it faced controversy over who gets verified — specifically over the decision to verify the organizer of the infamous and deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville. Since then, Twitter has done occasional verifications for medical experts tweeting about COVID-19 and candidates running for public office, but it hasn’t brought back the program in a systematic way. Now Twitter says it will relaunch verification in 2021, and that it’s currently soliciting feedback on the policy. Initially, verification will focus on six types of accounts: government officials, companies/brands/nonprofits, news, entertainment, sports and activists/organizers/other influential individuals. The tech giants YouTube suspends and demonetizes One America News… ..... Read More.10 hours ago
- Amazon Sidewalk comes to UKThe service uses other people's broadband to build a neighbourhood network for its devices. ..... Read More.16 hours ago
- How to ‘disappear’ on Happiness Avenue in BeijingA group of volunteers trying to avoid surveillance cameras took more than two hours to walk 1km. ..... Read More.17 hours ago
- How to RememberMemorial designs by Rael San Fratello, Refik Anadol Studio, and Sekou CookeUnlike a war, a pandemic is invisible and diffuse. It’s everywhere and nowhere. Its death toll is ultimately unknowable. That makes a virus difficult to mark with physical tributes. Few memorials mark the 1918 Spanish flu; one is a modest granite bench built in Vermont two years ago, underwritten by a local restaurant also marking its own centennial.The coronavirus pandemic is not over, either. Not even close. A third wave of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths is lashing the nation from coast to coast. More than 12 million Americans have contracted COVID-19, and more than 250,000 of them have died. Early vaccine tests are promising, but a broad rollout is months away at minimum. Even after it wanes, the long-term effects of the virus could continue to debilitate people who have “recovered.”So this might seem like a strange time to… ..... Read More.19 hours ago
- Streaming payments ‘threaten the future of music,’ says Elbow’s Guy GarveyElbow's Guy Garvey tells MPs that "musicians can't afford to pay the rent" with streaming royalties. ..... Read More.19 hours ago