Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Boaters annoyed, angry as invasive weed overtakes Montrose HarborIts tendrils slither toward the surface, sometimes advancing inches each day from the gloomy depths. Heaps of the stuff, glistening in the summer sun, lie along the edge of Montrose Harbor — evidence of the so-far failed effort to defeat it. Just beneath the surface of the water, it swarms like giant tangles of swamp-green yarn. “It’s terrible, It gets in the props. [It’s] all over the place,” said Ira Myerson, 69, who owns a 27-foot sailboat that’s been moored at Montrose since 1985. He’s talking about an invasive weed, Eurasian water milfoil, that’s common along the lakefront but, for some reason, has choked the waters at Montrose the hardest this year. Alex Marin, 37, spent two hours Tuesday heaving out mounds of the slimy green muck so he could take a ride on one of his jet skis. “As soon as we cleaned as much as we could,… ..... Read More.3 mins ago
- McCain renews calls for Trump to send weapons to UkraineSen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is reupping calls for President Trump to provide lethal aid to Ukraine as Defense Secretary James Mattis arrives in the country for a meeting with its president and top defense official." ..... Read More.3 mins ago
- Mother Seeks Refuge In Chicago Church To Avoid Deportation(CBS) – A mother of six who was due to be deported Wednesday took sanctuary in a Chicago church. Her husband is a U.S. citizen, as are four of her children. All of them have moved into a small Humboldt Park church building, trying to buy time as they fight her deportation. After 15 years of seeking U.S. citizenship, Francisca Lino is out of options. “I am not a terrorist,” Lino, speaking in Spanish, told reporters at a news conference. “I am not a criminal, I’m a working mother.” Because the Obama Administration deported criminals first, she was low priority. But a change in administrations seems to have changed that. She was supposed to turn herself in today. “We have to fight together,” her husband, Diego, said. Lino, who entered the U.S. illegally but married a U.S. citizen, was denied a green card due to an earlier deportation. Her… ..... Read More.4 mins ago
- 'Let the criminals run': Neighbors fuel crackdown on Milwaukee prostitution hous...City officials credit neighbors will providing information about problem properties linked to prostitution and drug use. ..... Read More.4 mins ago
- Michigan man who stabbed stepdaughter is jailed for lifeThomas McClellan, 25, of Holt, Michigan, has been sentenced to life in jail after killing Luna Michelle Younger, 5, on November 1, 2016, after she refused to leave his room until he gave her food. ..... Read More.5 mins ago
- Serious Question: What Happened to the Freakin’ Hats on Harry Potter?Rewatching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the 100th time, I noticed something shocking. OK, shocking is a stretch, but my curiosity was piqued as the Hogwarts students happily toss their hats into the air in the Great Hall at the conclusion of the film (spoiler alert). Where do the hats go? After the first movie in the series, we never see the students wearing their classic black pointed hats again. Why, exactly, do they stop wearing them? Alas, a Google search brought up a Reddit thread called "What happened to the hats?" with a few ideas. My favorite is probably this one from Reddit user trihedron: "They threw them up into the air and forgot them in Sorcerer's Stone. The great hall was a mess with so many forgotten hats Filch requested that hats should be banned from the end of the year ceremony." Image Source:… ..... Read More.5 mins ago