Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Boaters annoyed, angry as invasive weed overtakes Montrose HarborIts tendrils slither toward the surface, sometimes advancing inches each day from the gloomy depths. Heaps of the stuff, glistening in the summer sun, lie along the edge of Montrose Harbor — evidence of the so-far failed effort to defeat it. Just beneath the surface of the water, it swarms like giant tangles of swamp-green yarn. “It’s terrible, It gets in the props. [It’s] all over the place,” said Ira Myerson, 69, who owns a 27-foot sailboat that’s been moored at Montrose since 1985. He’s talking about an invasive weed, Eurasian water milfoil, that’s common along the lakefront but, for some reason, has choked the waters at Montrose the hardest this year. Alex Marin, 37, spent two hours Tuesday heaving out mounds of the slimy green muck so he could take a ride on one of his jet skis. “As soon as we cleaned as much as we could,… ..... Read More.5 mins ago
- Mother Seeks Refuge In Chicago Church To Avoid Deportation(CBS) – A mother of six who was due to be deported Wednesday took sanctuary in a Chicago church. Her husband is a U.S. citizen, as are four of her children. All of them have moved into a small Humboldt Park church building, trying to buy time as they fight her deportation. After 15 years of seeking U.S. citizenship, Francisca Lino is out of options. “I am not a terrorist,” Lino, speaking in Spanish, told reporters at a news conference. “I am not a criminal, I’m a working mother.” Because the Obama Administration deported criminals first, she was low priority. But a change in administrations seems to have changed that. She was supposed to turn herself in today. “We have to fight together,” her husband, Diego, said. Lino, who entered the U.S. illegally but married a U.S. citizen, was denied a green card due to an earlier deportation. Her… ..... Read More.6 mins ago
- 'Let the criminals run': Neighbors fuel crackdown on Milwaukee prostitution hous...City officials credit neighbors will providing information about problem properties linked to prostitution and drug use. ..... Read More.6 mins ago
- Michigan man who stabbed stepdaughter is jailed for lifeThomas McClellan, 25, of Holt, Michigan, has been sentenced to life in jail after killing Luna Michelle Younger, 5, on November 1, 2016, after she refused to leave his room until he gave her food. ..... Read More.7 mins ago
- A peek into the progress of Northwestern’s new athletic facilitiesNext summer will mark the next generation of Northwestern athletics. The university’s athletic department hosted a media tour of the new Ryan Fieldhouse and Walter Athletics Center on Wednesday to show the project’s progress since it first broke ground back in November 2015. The two facilities, which are connected and expected to be completed by next summer, consist of just the steel beam framing with a few windows. The cement floor is still covered in dirt and dust. As one walks through the construction, it’s hard to imagine what the $270 million projects will look like once it’s completed. But one thing is for sure — the view of the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan is second to none. Northwestern’s football coach Pat Fitzgerald only needed two words to describe the team’s feelings toward the new 500,000 square-foot athletic facilities: “excited” and “thankful.” Fitzgerald said next summer Northwestern will… ..... Read More.8 mins ago
- Harley-Davidson's 2018 Softail models commemorate the company's 115 anEight all-new Softail® models were released by Harley-Davidson to celebrate its 115th Anniversary. The new bikes feature a stiffer and significantly lighter frame for the new dual-counterbalanced Milwaukee-Eight® 107 and 114 engines. ..... Read More.10 mins ago