Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Madeleine McCann: German police search garden in HanoverGerman officials had recently identified 43-year-old man as suspect in 2007 disappearanceGerman police are searching an allotment plot on the outskirts of the northern city of Hanover, in connection with their investigation of a suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.A small excavator is being used to clear the plot and police officers are combing the ground with rakes and shovels, according to footage shown on German media. Continue reading... ..... Read More.2 weeks ago
- Tom Cotton’s war on the 1619 Project is the real cancel culture’ | Malaika JabaliConservatives like Cotton prefer we avoid looking critically at the US at all, and anyone that falls out of line must be cancelled Tom Cotton, the Arkansas senator, introduced a bill last week to prohibit federal funds from being used to teach the New York Times’ 1619 Project, which looks at the legacy of slavery in the US, in elementary and secondary schools.The bill notes that “an activist movement is now gaining momentum to deny or obfuscate [the history of America’s founding] by claiming that America was not founded on the ideals of the Declaration but rather on slavery and oppression.” Cotton later asserted in an interview that “the founding fathers said [slavery]... was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as [Abraham] Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction”. Continue reading... ..... Read More.2 weeks ago
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s eloquence in the face of arrogance is a master class | Francine Pro...By eviscerating a Republican’s excuse for his foul-mouthed abuse the congresswoman showed the power of rhetoricRepresentative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s 23 July address to the House of Representatives was a welcome reminder of what political speech can be: eloquent, lucid, truthful, intelligent, moving and persuasive. It also made you aware of how low public discourse has sunk. From both sides of the aisle, we hear soundbites, attacks, promises that vanish before the ink dries, reasons the rich should prosper while the poor stay poor. We’ve learned to accept the word salad – rambling, digressive, inarticulate, salted with evasions, distortions and lies – we’re served whenever Trump comes to the table.By contrast, Ocasio-Cortez’s address was a masterpiece of heartfelt, unadorned plain speech that (consciously or instinctively) employed the tools of the orator, the rhetorician and preacher. What carries us is repetition, rhythm, emphasis, cadence, pronunciation (the congresswoman leans into her Bronx vowels) and… ..... Read More.2 weeks ago
- Former San Francisco 49er Dana Stubblefield convicted of rape49-year-old offered victim promise of a babysitting jobFormer player faces 15 years to life in prisonFormer San Francisco 49er Dana Stubblefield was convicted on Monday of the rape of a developmentally disabled woman, after prosecutors said he lured the victim to his home with the promise of a babysitting job.A jury found Stubblefield, 49, guilty of rape by force, oral copulation by force and false imprisonment, and acquitted him of raping a person incapable of giving consent, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. Continue reading... ..... Read More.2 weeks ago
- Ex-FBI agent who played key role in Russia inquiry to release bookPeter Strzok briefly served on Mueller’s team but was removed after DoJ inspector general flagged derogatory texts about TrumpThe former FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok, who played a key role in the Russia investigation but whose text messages about Donald Trump made him a target of the president’s wrath, is releasing a book. Related: Mary Trump on her Uncle Donald: ‘I used to feel compassion for him. That became impossible’ Continue reading... ..... Read More.2 weeks ago