Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Is cheating the rotten heart of American sports?Baseball’s toothless response to the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal lays bare uncomfortable truths about society’s tolerance for cheatingOne of the harder-to-believe tales in American sports over the past decade involved the stunningly rapid transformation of the Houston Astros from a historically lousy baseball team to World Series winners and emerging dynasty. The impetus behind the American League club’s dramatic reversal of fortune was the 2011 appointment of general manager Jeff Luhnow amid a three-year stretch where the Astros lost a combined 324 games. A former McKinsey consultant and University of Pennsylvania graduate with dual degrees in engineering and economics, Luhnow expanded on the advanced sabermetric groundwork popularized by Oakland A’s executive Billy Beane to rebuild the organization into a forward-thinking, analytics-driven powerhouse. He installed a former Nasa rocket scientist as the team’s director of decision sciences and marshaled a wholesale overhaul of the scouting department, synthesizing traditional methods of player… ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- US briefing: impeachment, Iran missile strike and Ayanna Pressley2 hours ago
- Trump has savaged the environment. The planet cannot afford a second term | Ross BarkanThe president just launched one of his most grievous attacks on the environment yet. Democrats must recognize the stakesWhat are the consequences of a second term of Donald Trump? To even consider the question sends the left-leaning mind into a paroxysm. Everything from nuclear war to the utter collapse of American democracy looms large in the imaginations of otherwise sober-minded people.In truth, the damage may be less immediately obvious. Life, in many ways, would go on. But the planet we inhabit will continue to heat up, and the most powerful government on Earth would be doing everything it can to further destabilize the environment around us. Just after the new year, the Trump administration announced it planned to radically revise the National Environmental Policy Act, a landmark measure that forced federal infrastructure projects to take into account their impact on the environment. Under the rewritten rules, builders of highways, pipelines,… ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Critics demand to know how Russia’s new Prime Minister and his wife earned their for...The first image of Vladlena Mishustina, wife of Russia's new prime minister Mikhail Mishustin, emerged on Friday as questions were raised about how they obtained their wealth. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- Ukrainian prime minister resigns after controversial recordings about president publishedUkraine's prime minister submitted his resignation Friday, days after he was caught on tape saying the country's president knows nothing about the economy. ..... Read More.2 hours ago
- UK retail sales slide as high street crisis deepens – business liveRolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as UK retail spending falls againBreaking: UK retail sales slump in DecemberRetail sales down 1% in last quarterCould Bank of England cut rates this month? Earlier:Alphabet hits $1tn valuationChina’s GDP only grew by 6.1% last yearUS-China trade is limp, but... 10.53am GMTHere are the key points from today’s healthcheck on the UK retail industry. 10.31am GMTDecember’s retail sales slump follows a flurry of bad news from the sectorHigh street stores have struggled particularly badly, with consumers shunning physical stores in favour of web shopping. Continue reading... ..... Read More.2 hours ago