Searchable News & Info From Reliable Online Sources.
- Analysis: Did Xi Jinping know about the coronavirus outbreak earlier than first suggested?As the deadly novel coronavirus spread throughout China and the world last month, it was clear that something had gone wrong. ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Iran’s Rouhani says US ‘maximum pressure’ campaign ‘has failed,...Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that the U.S.’s “maximum pressure” policy aimed at isolating Iran has “failed,” and he claimed President Trump doesn’t want a war with Iran because it would “ruin” his reelection chances. ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- ‘The violence should be tangible’ – Ivo van Hove on roughing up West Side St...Songs have been dropped, dance routines booted out and the street-fights look nasty. This is a West Side Story for the Trump era, says the avant-garde superstar directorIvo van Hove likes it in America. Broadway rarely warms to avant-garde Belgian directors, but it has embraced this one, first for his blood-drenched A View from the Bridge, then for his unorthodox Crucible, which starred a large dog, and then for his adaptation of Network, complete with a working onstage restaurant that audiences could eat at. Now he and Belgian choreographer Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker are refashioning West Side Story, that quintessentially American dance musical – a rare story of juvenile delinquency and fatal love that you can hum along to. It will be, says Van Hove, “a West Side Story for the 21st century”.The show is not one that either had seen on stage, though each had watched the 1961 movie… ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Shipping pollution regulations ‘could harm food chain’Use of ‘scrubbers’ to cut air pollution increases pollutants pumped into sea, UN report saysNew shipping pollution regulations introduced earlier this year could harm humans by contaminating fish and crustaceans with toxins, according to an internal report compiled by the International Maritime Organization and obtained by the Guardian.In the report the IMO, the United Nations agency responsible for regulating shipping, says that there is insufficient “toxicity data” to be able to assess the risk to humans caused by the increased use of exhaust gas cleaning systems, which are also known as “scrubbers”. Continue reading... ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- ‘Blackness is not a straitjacket on the imagination’: the photography of Dawou...A new retrospective at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art examines the photographer’s transformation over 50 yearsIn his five-decade-spanning career, the photographer Dawoud Bey has made steady reinvention a pillar of his image-making.His explorations of marginalized and misunderstood communities is the subject of a new retrospective at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. The exhibition is divided chronologically and thematically, an organization that underscores Bey’s ever-changing approaches to blackness. Continue reading... ..... Read More.3 hours ago
- Erdoğan’s ‘crazy project’: new Istanbul canal to link Black and Marmara SeasProposed route slices through a major drinking water source and an important stop for migratory birds To the west of Istanbul, between the Black Sea and the Marmara Sea, lie diverse landscapes of forest, farms, marshes and ancient settlements. Following a curving line from north to south would connect you through the Terkos Lake, Sazlıdere stream and reservoir and Küçükçekmece lagoon, important water sources for migratory birds – not to mention the city’s residents.This line, however, is also the path of Kanal İstanbul, a $12.6bn(£9.7bn) mega-infrastructure plan described by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as his “crazy project” when he first mentioned the idea in 2011. Continue reading... ..... Read More.3 hours ago